1. We can decide within ourselves how all that happens to us is going to affect us.
2. Between stimulus and response is our freedom to choose our response.
3. Our behavior is a function of our decisions, not our conditions.
4. The ability to subordinate an impulse to a value is the essence of the proactive person.
5. I am what I am today because of the choices I made yesterday.
6. It’s not what happens to us, but our response to what happens to us that hurts us.
7. What matters most is how we respond to what we experience in life.
8. It is inspiring to realize that in choosing our response to circumstances, we can powerfully affect our circumstances.
9. Look at the weaknesses of others with compassion, not accusation. It’s not what they’re not doing or should be doing that’s the issue. The issue is our own chosen response to them and what we should be doing.
10. We are responsible for our own effectiveness, for our own happiness, and ultimately, for most of our circumstances.